Crankster

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Thesis, Article, Movies, and My Stern, Stern Daughter

It's been a really good day. Early this morning, I got an e-mail from an editor who wants to publish the first half of my Master's thesis in a journal. Granted, it doesn't really pay, and I'm not really working on climbing the academic ladder anymore, but it's still kind of nice. I'm thinking of sending a copy to the jackass second reader who made me jump through a few flaming hoops during the final days of my Master's program. While I'm at it, I might send a copy to my advisor, who told me to give in on everything because she didn't want to bother defending me.

Boy, I'm really glad to be out of academia!

In other news, I just got an e-mail from an editor at Time Out New York. She's contracted me to write a 500-600 word piece on walking through the Botanical Gardens and Fordham. It's my first piece in a "real" magazine, and I'm pretty excited!

I also got a new gig writing for New York Indie Scene, an independent film blog. It doesn't pay a whole lot, but it is the first non-AOL blog to hire me and I get to put up fun little posts about old, influential movies that I think are must-sees. Good times.

I recently found Georgia scolding the cat for eating bugs. She was saying things like "Do you understand?" and "Say you're sorry." The kid perfectly copied my cadence and tone, and I had a frightening moment in which I saw "Bruce the disciplinarian" through the eyes of my child. Then I started laughing.

9 Comments:

  • I am so glad you're a real, live writer - most excellent news.

    Puss

    By Blogger Glamourpuss, At October 1, 2008 at 12:32 PM  

  • That's awesome! Can't wait to read it.

    And thanks again for lunch the other day, it was great seeing you and the family. :)

    By Blogger tokenscot, At October 1, 2008 at 12:36 PM  

  • I wouldn't spend the money to send the copies back to the two jackasses at Tech. and give them the satisfaction that you were still upset at what they did. You're gone and they have no hold on you. Let them die their miserable death as you achieve in the real world. Not that I have an opinion, mind you.

    By Blogger The CEO, At October 1, 2008 at 6:35 PM  

  • I so wish I had the guts it takes to quit my job and just write. I had a few things published but I let my day job keep getting in the way. My daughter in law managed to make a pretty good living free lancing for many years, but she had some jigs writing grant proposals that paid the bills. Congrats to you on living the dream, as it were.

    The reflection of our own words and actions in the mirror of a toddler is truly embarrassing. I have no idea how childless people learn humility. Hint: It gets no better as they get older and more sophisticated.

    By Blogger Spellbound, At October 2, 2008 at 7:17 AM  

  • Congrats on the writing gigs! That's fantastic :)

    Your child is quickly becoming my favourite little person EVER! LOL

    By Blogger Echomouse, At October 2, 2008 at 10:39 AM  

  • Glad to see you updating again, and glad to hear things are going well! I'm looking forward to reading the article.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 2, 2008 at 12:20 PM  

  • You are such the meanie!

    Congrats on the writing gig!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 2, 2008 at 7:31 PM  

  • Congratulations on your writing gigs! If you build a better mousetrap, not only will the world beat a path to your door but you will evoke the considerable wrath of Georgia.

    This is wonderful news. It's always especially delightful when the truly deserving get a break.

    So did the cat apologize? If so, perhaps you could write a piece about that for the Guinness Book of World Records.

    By Blogger heartinsanfrancisco, At October 5, 2008 at 2:26 PM  

  • Congratulations!!!

    By Blogger Claudia , At October 9, 2008 at 1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home